Forensic Data Collections & Examination
PLANET DATA UP CLOSE
Brad Berkshire has performed over 1,500 targeted data collections or forensic imaging acquisitions for discovery response and regulatory response engagements – on hundreds of unique data source types, from PCs, social media, to mobile.
A Certified Computer Examiner and highly-respected experienced IT professional and electronic discovery/digital forensics expert, Brad leads deployment of custom technologies that provide practical, cost-effective solutions for IT and discovery management projects.
See all of Brad's credentials here
Planet Data's consultants have over 30 years combined experience handling data acquisition and forensic analysis requests in response to all types of litigation, regulatory investigation, and internal investigation projects. Additionally, Planet Data consultants specialize in and hold several high-level certifications specific to mobile data and technology.
Our experts and technicians have the ability to perform forensically sound ESI collections on all common media types in accordance with industry best practices for the handling, copying, verification, and preservation of digital evidence including:
- Mobile Devices (cell phones, smart phones, tablets, PDAs, IM devices)
- PC Systems (desktops, laptops, servers)
- Mac Systems (desktops, laptops, servers)
- Storage Devices (hard drives, external hard drives, removable media, thumb drives, memory cards)
- Other (data storage tape drives, surveillance equipment, digital cameras, video cameras, digital audio recorders, digital video recorders, mp3 players, video game consoles, GPS devices)
To deliver best-in-class services and solutions, Planet Data proudly partners with industry leading forensic hardware manufactures and software developers. Learn more about them on our partners page here
Download our Forensic Data Collections brochure here
Schedule a consultation
Targeted Active File Data Collection and Forensic Imaging Acquisition
- Targeted collection procedures help our clients control costs at the outset of discovery and prevent unnecessary over-collection of ESI. Planet Data consultants work with a client’s IT staff, in-house counsel, and outside counsel to create a practical collection strategy that fits the needs of each case or investigation. Working together, the team defines and deploys a process that identifies all relevant data sources for each custodian. The primary objective of this strategy is to identify and target only specific locations where potentially relevant email and e-docs may be stored.
- Should the case or investigation require the capture of forensic images from electronic evidence sources, Planet Data consultants can perform on-site, high speed image acquisition services. As with active file collections, all procedures are documented and tightly controlled with validation logging and proper chain of custody. If practical, Planet Data consultants also perform remote forensic imaging services using virtual disk mounting solutions as well as remote image capturing toolkits.
Learn more here
Digital Forensic Analysis
Planet Data consultants have expertise and proven experience in recovering data that has either been intentionally or accidentally deleted, moved, hidden, or destroyed. Through the use of specialized forensic techniques and software, deleted, partial and fragmented files can all be recovered (many times fully recovered) from the recycle bin, unallocated space, slack space, memory dumps, swap files, shadow copies, etc. In addition, Planet Data consultants have the ability to accurately determine user activity through many forensic techniques and by using specialized tools to perform an analysis of data artifacts found in recoverable data sources.
Learn more here
Mobile Device Forensic Acquisition and Analysis
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) is quickly becoming the norm for companies in the performance of regular business around the clock. Employees are likely to discuss sensitive company matters through SMS and mobile email clients, social media (LinkedIn, twitter, Facebook), through proprietary mobile apps (iChat, WhatsApp, Snapchat, google NOW, Maps, Search, etc,), and so many other methods (too many to list), even though company policy may state that the employee is not to conduct official business using non-approved methods.
Planet Data consultants have expertise and proven experience in preserving, recovering and analyzing data from Mobile Devices such as cell phones, smart phones, tablets, PDAs, GPS devices, MP3 players, cameras, etc. What makes this experience invaluable to our clients involves the exponential growth in adoption rate of these mobile devices in the workplace. Current statistics show that there exists a mobile device for every single man, woman, and child in the US – approximately 300,000,000.
Learn more here